Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Discovering Wiki

What I found interesting was that the CIA and police forces use wiki's - something that I never would have thought they did. I think that It is a good idea though as long as they are secure.

I particularly like what you can do with the layout of the wiki and all the features that can be used - eg pics, videos and links etc. I like that it is instant and organised interaction between people on the same subject/topic/issue.

I would have to say that my fave one from the list would have to have been the Book Lovers one It is well organised, easy to use and interesting with helpful reviews on books by a number of different people. I also like that it had a link to the book being reviewed so that you could find it.

Some of the ways that this can be used in the library setting:

Staff only context:
- like the intranet,
- organising events for the library.

context where the public can see and contribute:
- readers advisory,
- something like the suject listing wiki that we looked at.
- Information services page
- a way of making suggestions for the services that the libraries offer
- book club could use it.

With some of these activities the question might be would it be better to use a blog or a wiki??


Alli

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Thanks for these great ideas! I hope we can see some of them happen.

Ellen